May in New York City is a very special month, everybody takes advantage of the weather and go out fun on the streets. The spring is in all its splendor, the days are long and warm, and the festivals be taken the city.
So, if you will travel to New York City for this month, here we are going to tell you which are the best plans that you could do in the Big Apple during May. Let’s get started!
Mother’s Day in NYC
If you are going to travel with your Mom or your Wife (of course if your wife is already a Mom) in the city there are many plans for surprise them in this extraordinary date. In New York City the Mother’s Day is celebrated in style, many restaurants prepare special dishes, the florists are full of beautiful flowers for giving away, the spas are waiting for the Mom’s to pamper them, and many malls have a large variety of articles for Mothers.
Besides, New York City has quite events for this date, below we share with you a list of some of them:
- Mother’s Day Brunch and Cruise: Surprise your Mom with a relaxing day aboard a yacht, where she can have some mimosas, to listen to a live jazz band, enjoy a delicious buffet lunch and in the same time take a pleasure of the Manhattan skyline.
- Mother’s Day at Queens Botanical Garden: Spend a great day with your Mom surrounded by beautiful flowers. For this time of the year, the landscape and the climate are perfect for doing a picnic at Queens Botanical Garden. This is a creative way to celebrate this special date, and the best of all, is not expensive.
- Mother’s Day Celebration at Central Park Zoo: The Central Park Zoo always gets ready to celebrate this date with tons of fun activities for Moms and family. There you will have a great family day, something Mom will always love. On the Central Park Zoo, you will be able to meet the animal moms and their babies closely, do some craft cards for the Mommy’s and share time with some special guests. A charming plan for the whole family.
- Mother’s Day Wine 101: Surprise your mom with a gift that she will never forget. On this wine tasting, you will have the chance to toast with your Mother for this memorable day. In addition, there you will learn about different grape variety, taste six kinds of wine and give your mom a bottle of her favorite vintage wine.
- Mother’s Day Weekend Garden Party: One of the best ways to honor your mom is with a Garden Party, for this date, the New York Botanical Garden have wide selection activities for the Moms, such as Live music, games like badminton and croquet, a picnic on Daffodil Hill, walking tours through the gardens, professional photographers snapping pics, and much more. This could be an unforgettable day for your mom.
Don’t forget, Mother’s Day is celebrated on May 13.
Five Boro Bike Tour
Through the years New York City has become in a cycle-friendly city, and May is the month to celebrate it. The Five Boro Tour is one of the most important cyclist meetings, each 6 may, over 30 thousand of bicycle enthusiasts ride together until the city downtown. This bike marathon crosses the entire city, the participating goes through by the five boroughs of New York City. The Five Boro Bike Tour is an awesome and a vibrant experience that you will love it.
The 9th Avenue International Food Festival
On May 19 and 20, one of the city’s most important gastronomic festivals is held in New York City. Between 42nd and 57th streets from 10 am to 6 pm you will find food stalls from all over the world, and also enjoy live music and shows. This gastronomic event pretends to promote the local restaurants and the individual merchant. The 9th Avenue International Food Festival is the oldest and largest food festival in New York City. Its organization and the quality of the food make this event a success every year. This is the perfect opportunity to taste unique dishes from the most prestigious restaurants in the Big Apple, don’t miss them.
Shakespeare in the Park
This is a great outdoor festival that offers free plays at the Delacorte Theatre in Central Park. This festival was created by Joseph Papp in 1962, and from this year the festival has become a beloved event for locals and tourist. Undoubtedly the Shakespeare in the park is a good opportunity to enjoy a series of performance free, and also is a fantastic chance of approaching the theater. This year the festival starts on May 29th and ends on June 24th.
Memorial Day in NYC
The last Monday of May, United States pays tribute to the men and women who have died while serving in the U.S. military. Parades and other activities are held in New York City in honor of all of them. Memorial Day marks the beginning of summer, and since it’s a holiday for everyone, get ready because you’ll see lots of people on the streets. The best thing about this day is that no attraction in the city is closed, so don’t worry because the fun is guaranteed.
The Manhattan Solstice, best known as Manhattanhenge, is an astonishing natural phenomenon that occurs when the sun aligns with the east-west streets of Manhattan. This breathtaking moment is so beautiful that hundreds of people gather on the streets of New York City to observe it and for snap photos. Projected 2018 dates for Manhattanhenge are around May 28 and July 13. If you are in New York City on these dates